Emergency Resolution on Venezuela
Rome, Italy, 17-18 January 2003
Socialist International Women, bearing in mind that:
- Venezuela is experiencing a confrontational and violent political situation in which democratic freedoms are in danger;
- the women of Venezuela have shown courage, bravery and fighting spirit, despite the violation of the principles enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights;
- the presence in Venezuela, for more than 40 days, of the Secretary General of the Organization of American States, engaged in negotiating and consulting, and serving as facilitator between representatives of the government and the opposition, has not succeeded in finding a democratic, peaceful, constitutional and electoral solution;
- to express its recognition and support of and solidarity with the women of Venezuela in their struggle to preserve democratic institutions in their country and to restore peace and tranquillity to the Venezuelan people and;
- to support the efforts of the Secretary General of the Organization of American States César Gaviria in the search for a democratic, peaceful, constitutional and electoral solution.